Sunday, April 22, 2012

Enemies and their ch-ch-changes!

Meet some of the enemies of ITW. I got some of these bad guys off of craigslist. What a weird auditioning process that was. Lots of them came with dreams in their heads and headshots in their hands. Took a couple of them on a tour of my casting couch. If you know what I mean. Wink wink! Sorry for the winking. I had an eyelash in there. I meant to say nudge nudge! Also sorry for the nudging, I saw a pretty girl walking this way and was hinting for you to leave.
The main inspiration for the enemies comes from microorganisms and various parasites that live inside of another living creature. Some are based on tapeworms found in dogs. Some are viruses inside the human body. And some are just big gross bugs.
The player enters into a world where she is essentially a virus to the planet. She is being sought out by all the other antibodies that want to get rid of her in order for the planet to survive.
I have yet to start pixeling the virus and cell enemies. I wanted to get down the "bug" creatures first. Then start getting into the grosser stuff later.
Ooohhh! Drea has her pick of some many handsome suitors. Which will she choose first? The bad boy with a sparkle of mystery in his eye? Or the adorable lavabug next door?
Original concepts. First enemies I pixeled. These look dumb. Dumb I says!
When I first started making the game, I had a more light hearted approach. You were still killing gross viruses and bug like things but they didn't look all too scary. And the game revolved heavily on the EDU mech being somewhat under armed. Your main weapon would've had little to not effect on the enemies. Mainly you would use your drill to open up the rock to make pathways to the dangerous liquids. The main strategy was to  drown your victims in bodily fluids, water, or lava. That element still exists but I gave the EDU more weapons. And therefore the enemies started becoming a little harder to kill. But they didn't look like things you would fear. And they looked kind cute. I went for a bright colored palette so they would pop from the background. But bright colors are not threatening.

EXAMPLE A:
Well... actually I would turn and run the other way if this guy was waiting for me at the end of along hallway.

EXAMPLE B:
Huh... you know what, this one doesn't work either. Is she an enemy of Aquaman that never made it to the comics? I'll give her this. If she came from a goblin horde, she would be the hottest one of the bunch. Either way, I didn't want bright colors. Ok. Let's move on.


Lavabug: Volummasae

Besides coloring choices, I also wanted to incorporate the liquid physics into the enemies as well. This fat bastard will have the ability to fire lava from his "spout" things in the front. But if you can sneak up from behind and send a rocket up his bum, liquid lava physics galore! This enemy replaced that dumb looking toad thingy in the above example. Not the toad thingy in the bikini but the enemies example above those photos.
Armored Snail:  Achatina
This is the only design to make it from the very start of the game. This little booger only changed slightly in colored to stay within the brown and green color theme of most of the enemies. He was inspired by a Zoomer in the original Nes Metroid. But mainly just a snail.
Venom Wasp: Vespa

The Vespa is another one that made the cut... kinda. Some of these enemies had to be sacrificed in size due to the tileset limitations. I had to make sure that they would fit in certain areas. This one was particularly tough to make work with the wings not moving to far away from the body. Plus if you check out the original example, he had a crest on his head and was a bright blue. I wanted the enemies to seem like they all came from the same place and did away with the bright color scheme. I also wanted them to seem like a virus could have produced these creatures.
My motto for ITW: The enemies must look like they came from Snooki.

No comments:

Post a Comment