Sunday, June 10, 2012

City... Why You So Busted?



This city has seen much better days. The game will feature limited amounts of surface levels. This is an example of what I am trying to do with the cars used as tiles. I wanted to make them double as a storytelling device and for level variation. I was trying to concentrate on actual buildings and street tiles but I kinda got a little obsessed with making the vehicles once I got rolling. I still have a flipped over truck and a bus that Drea can walk through inside. 
The background is temporary for right. I am dreading having to do the giant city background. I will not settle for standard repeating building sprites. I really want to show a world that has gone to shit.
Inspiration for the look of the city is a mix of Los Angeles where I live and what they did in Minority Report. I like how they kept the original city intact but built futuristic structures around it. Old buildings wouldn't necessarily get demolished to make room for the newer "spiffier" ones. The old ones would become historical landmarks that we would have to work around. Like when I turned my grandma's room into the guest room. Sure Grandma's corpse started to stink the place up as she rotted away in her favorite rocking chair but who am I to diminish her historical significance.  If my guests feel creeped out by how it looks like she is staring at them as they sleep, then that's their problem. I think she looks better with her eyes open. I tell people she is watching over them while they sleep and will make sure to keep away evil succubuses in night. That's grandma for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment