Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Old Versus New



Whenever I start a game project, I tend to get better with my animations over time. I tried putting together a River City Ransom game (FAILED!) and the first couple of animations I put together for that game were amateurish at best. Then over time I noticed the later animations and character designs got better and better. Which in turn made the older animations stand out too much with their shittiness. Or is it shittyness? How dare you red squiggle underline my spelling!








RIVER CITY EXAMPLES: OLD VS. NEW
This is the Glen character from my River City Ransom game. See the difference in his old ground flip compared to his new ground flip. If you can't see the difference, you had better get yourself checked out by some professionals.



Glen's Hadouglen (har har har) fireball move. The old version has little to no impact when Glen unleashes his fireball. The new version has way more frames and life to it. There is no way the older moves could exist in the same game with the newer moves. They look too stiff to be alongside their new counterparts.
Vespa

Erythro

Here is an example from Into This World of two different enemies. The Erythro and The Vespa. They are completely different from each other but the effort of animation put into both of them are on two different levels. Where as, I am proud of the hard work that went into The Erythro, I am ashamed of the Vespa and it's lackluster movement. Look at the thing. Can you not feel the power behind those wings? It's almost like Mothra is flying right passed your face.



The Erythro has it's own animation for flying upwards. The Vespa on the other hand, would have the same exact animation as flying forward, up, down, x, y, z, across the 8th dimension, etc.

I have already begun going back to the older enemies and rebooting them to give them more life and character. No more nudging pixels. I am going to take the effort and draw them frame by frame. And I mean it! Maybe! Definitely maybe.
Now I am going to watch the movie Definitely Maybe. Oh, Ryan Reynolds, you dreamboat.


No comments:

Post a Comment